The British Council supports educators in the UK and worldwide to work together to enrich the quality of education in schools and equip young people to live and work successfully in a global society. Every country in the world needs a high quality school system that creates young people who are able to live and work in a globalised economy and to use their knowledge, skills and values to contribute responsibly locally and globally.
Young people who receive this high quality education contribute to the future stability and prosperity of our global society.
The British Council believes that by identifying the principles upon which success has been built in the rich variety of education systems around the world, we allow policy makers to reflect on, and ultimately make changes to their educational practice thus improving outcomes for young people. Therefore, the importance of creating opportunities for international dialogue for policy makers cannot be overstated.
The Dialogues on education event, which was held at the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts, Zagreb, on 29 March 2018, aimed to:
- offer the opportunity to examine the global education debate and promote a shared understanding of concepts relevant in the discussion of quality in education
- offer a platform for the analysis of key priorities, underlying concepts and perspectives
- identify concrete suggestions on initiatives towards the advancement of the quality of education in Croatia
- Andreas Schleicher, Director for Education and Skills and Special Advisor on Education Policy to the Secretary-General at the OECD
- Graham Donaldson, Former Chief Executive of the Scottish Inspectorate (HMIE) and Chief Professional Advisor on education to the Scottish Government; Educational consultant, honorary professor at Glasgow University and professor in the Robert Owen Centre for Educational Change
- Gregor Mohorčič, Director General for preschool and basic education, Ministry of Science, Education and Sport, Republic of Slovenia, Slovene representative at the DG Schools group at EU level
Where can I find more information?
The programme of the event is available at the bottom of this page.
The event was supported by the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts and the Agency for Mobility and EU programmes.