What is TOLES?
The Test of Legal English Skills (TOLES) assesses the English language skills required by the legal profession and sectors related to law.
TOLES tests the following skills:
- knowledge and use of vocabulary relevant in the global commercial market
- writing formal letters and communicating by email
- the ability to follow a course of legal study where the instruction is in English
- reading and writing complex law documentation
- the language of negotiating
- grammatical accuracy.
The TOLES materials and exams were developed in 2000 by the TOLES organisation, a private legal training company which was created as a direct result of extensive consultations with a leading commercial law firm. The TOLES exam body is a member of the International Division of the Law Society of England and Wales.
TOLES is offered at three different levels:
- TOLES Foundation: level Elementary - Intermediate
- TOLES Higher: level Intermediate - Upper Intermediate
- TOLES Advanced: Advanced - Proficient
Your TOLES certificate is valid for life.